Tuesday, July 19, 2011

An Oldie Still Near My Heart

Talking with my Sunday night group, I got to share how mine and Josh's financial struggles have brought us so much closer to the Lord and to each other. I really feel without the past few years and all the struggles we would have never have grown as much as we have otherwise! I found a piece I wrote in 2009 sharing some of the beginning of the 'turn'. How our strength to wait, learn, listen, and depend upon the Lord.


I have been struggling a lot lately. My family situation at home has been quite unsettling. Josh and I are very fortunate don't get me wrong, but anytime a spouse loses a job it takes a toll on a family. I know that we are being provided for. I never doubt for one second that we are part of a plan. But I have a problem with things being on a schedule. It doesn't necessarily need to be my timeline, but I need to have one. I need to know what's next, what's coming, and what's ahead. The problem with mine and Josh's situation is we don't know exactly what to do, exactly what's next, and when it's coming. Not having a job, possibility of a job, and possibility of a career change has of course affected several other decisions of our lives. My heart tells me that everything will work out in His plan, but my stomach stays physically ill. I've prayed, Josh has prayed and several of our friends have prayed with us. This morning while crying out my complaints I heard from God in a book I've paid little attention to in the past. It was like He opened my bible just so I could hear Him speak. I felt compelled to share it because it moved me so much. Maybe I am the only one who has overlooked the book of Habakkuk, but if I'm not I want to share with you what I got out of it this morning.
It is funny how when we are hurting, our natural instinct is to turn to one of the New Testament books. I'm not even really sure how I got to Habakkuk this morning, which is even more praise to Him that he knew exactly what I needed. Habakkuk was a man and this book was dialogue between him and God alone. He wasn't talking, preaching, or teaching. He was questioning, crying out, and then praising.
In the first chapter Habakkuk carries a burden and lifts them up to the Lord. He asks, "how long?" and "why?". He wanted to know when God was going to do something about the rebellion and sinfulness of the nation of Judah and why sin was growing more rampant without being punished. The Lord did not give him a timeline but did say that a judgment would come.
After hearing this he cried out a second complaint. "O Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, we will not die. O Lord, you have appointed them to execute judgment; O Rock, you have ordained them to punish." 1:12 Then Habakkuk did something that most of us, especially me, struggle with. He waited. He waited and God revealed his planned. Verse 2:1 says I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am to give this complaint." Amazing verse 2:2 starts with "THEN the Lord replied..". I made then capitalized because it is so easily overlooked. He waited and in the Lord's time THEN he replied. Habakkuk was revealed the plan and told to record it. My study bible has a little paragraph right after 2:4 that was speaking straight to me. "Are you waiting for Gods leading today? Good for You! If the light is red or even yellow, you're wise to let Him hold you back. When it turns green, you'll know it."

If you read all of my ramblings, thanks for listening-
"Lord, I have heard of your fame;
I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord.
Renew them in our day,
in our time make them known;
in wrath remember mercy."
Habakkuk 3:2 


Just looking back makes me praise Him in how much we've grown, how much I'VE grown. Schedule schmedule. Who needs a schedule when you're in God's watch? 

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment