Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Scripture on My Back

Those that know me have heard this story a hundred times before. Sorry for the repeat. A good family friend was running for a local office and we placed his bumper sticker on the back of our vehicle. Oh the trouble this tiny bumper sticker caused my road rage. I would be screaming from behind someone driving 41 in a 50 (people from around here know exactly what road I'm talking about), zoom around them when I got the chance only to find myself in complete guilt. Oh no! What if I just made my friend lose his election because of my terrible driving etiquette? So after a few weeks, I was able to stifle most of my road rage. What if we thought of our actions like this on a daily basis? If we had 'Jesus' stamped on our shirt or forehead constantly and always had to be a public representative of Christ. Not too long ago I was in the grocery store, again faced with this scenario. I was rushed, had bad kids with me (I know that never happens to anyone but me), couldn't find what I needed which made me even MORE late, and got behind the sloweeessssttt person ever. I don't hide emotions very well, so after much huffing and puffing and shortness with the cashier we were out of the store. Boy did I feel like a heel when we got out of the store and start to put our stuff up in the car and I realized what shirt I had on! Proverbs 14:31 "Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him." A shirt from our Homeless for a Night but man does it always apply. Look to my left and I see the sloweeessssttt person ever helping someone even slower and older get their groceries in the car.  Wow. We might be able to wear the scripture but can we live it out?  Help me Jesus to live it out more than I wear it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment